The buying process

Buying a home on a residential mobile home park gives you certain rights and obligations. Please make sure you are aware of these and understand them before you complete a purchase.

Homes for sale may be sold either by Pentland Park or privately, from a current homeowner. There are specific processes which must be followed in order for a sale, and the assignment of rights to station the home on Pentland Park, to be complete.

You should consider using the services of a solicitor and, potentially, a surveyor.

Buying from Pentland Park

When you buy a home from Pentland Park, you will receive the following:

  • A Written Statement, (including the Express and the Implied Terms).
    • This sets out the rights and obligations of both you and Pentland Park.
    • You will receive this 28 days before the sale can be completed, unless you choose to sign a waiver to allow the sale to be completed more quickly.
    • The terms of the Written Statement are set out under the Mobile Homes Act (1983) and any subsequent amendments in law.
  • A copy of the Park Rules.
  • A key to the relevant electricity meter house.
  • And, of course, the keys to your new home!

Buying privately from a homeowner

Just as for any other homeowner, owners of park homes have the right to sell their homes on the open market.

A seller must, by law, provide you with the following, at least 28 days before you are committed to the purchase (you can agree to a shorter period in writing):

  • A copy of the Written Statement, (including the Express and the Implied Terms).
    • This sets out the rights and obligations of both you and Pentland Park.
    • The terms of the Written Statement are set out under the Mobile Homes Act (1983) and any subsequent amendments in law.
  • A copy of the Park Rules.
  • Their forwarding address.

To complete the sale, the following steps must take place:

  • The owner assigns their rights, in writing, under the Written Statement to you.
  • The agreed purchase price must be paid; 10% of this must be paid to Pentland Park as commission.
    • Important: until the commission has been paid, neither the sale nor the assignment of rights has any effect.
    • Therefore, may we suggest that you arrange with the seller to pay them 90% of the purchase price, yourself paying the remaining 10% to Pentland Park. This ensures that you legally own the home and have the right to station it on Pentland Park, and that this can happen as promptly as possible.
    • Should you decide to take this approach, the simplest way is to come to the Park Office with the seller, to complete your transaction.
  • On presentation of the assignment of rights and the commission payment, Pentland Park will provide you with a Written Statement in your name.

When the sale is complete, the seller should also give you the key to the relevant electricity meter house.

A note on garages

The rental of a garage on Pentland Park is available to residents only, and it is non-transferable. You cannot take on a garage rental from a seller, but rather must apply to the Park if you wish to rent a garage. None of the pitches on the Park has a garage included.